img { max-width: 900px; width: expression(this.width > 600 ? 600: true); } .subtitle{ font-family:Trebuchet MS',Verdana,Arial,Sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:$dateHeaderColor; line-height:20px; }

Koh Samui, Thailand and the technicolor temple (Part Seven)

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Okay, no harm meant by the silly title, but when we arrived at these temples, the first thing that came into my mind was...is this for real? It is certainly not unusual to have lavishly decorated and designed temples throughout Asia, but these seemed to be less of a serious buddhist experience than others that I've seen. I am not a Buddhist though, so I may be completely wrong. The type of Buddhism in Thailand has elements of Hinduism in it, as you can tell from the six-armed goddess (Kali) on top of this building. Their religion is very important to them and certainly I give them respect for that. This post is not about trying to explain the religion, so it's best to click here "Theravada" if you'd like to know more.

Wat Plai Laem on Koh Samui, Thailand

At the risk of sounding (but not meaning to be) inconsiderate, these temple buildings had almost a theme park flare to them. I don't know how much of this type of design is related to the religion itself, or if it's simply the vision of the architect(s) who created it. This location is called "Wat Plai Laem".

Wat Plai Laem on Koh Samui, Thailand

There were a number of tourists walking around and looking as though they were thinking the same thing that we were. Don't get me wrong, it's a joy to see so much color and such a unique structure that is not a common site for me. I have seen churches in the states that seem overdone for the sake of attracting people, rather than having spiritual significance, so that is why I am questioning this.

Wat Plai Laem on Koh Samui, Thailand

There was no guide or information posted to explain anything and our own driver couldn't speak enough english to explain either. I saw a monk here and there and this one was seemingly doing some garden care.

Monk on Koh Samui, Thailand

I think the over designed element of this temple area was fun, but I'm not sure that was the intention. As with other temples that I've been to in Asia, there was a table full of roof tiles that you could donate money for, and then write your name on the back of it. This tile will supposedly get placed on the roof of the temple for ever. I decided to donate a little since there was no admission price, but I didn't bother with taking a roof tile. 

Wat Plai Laem on Koh Samui, Thailand

I did notice a number of local adults and children who were passing through the area. I thought that was strange considering it was off the main road. As usual in Thailand, people were friendly and no one asked for money or tried to sell anything.



I am sorry I can't provide more information about this stop, but it was more of a visual experience for me. However, you can click HERE to find out more about temples on Koh samui.

Wat Plai Laem on Koh Samui, Thailand


There are more pictures of Koh Samui, Thailand that can be view HERE in my Flick album.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you'd like to leave a comment, it is not necessary to sign in. You may post as "Anonymous" (With the drop down menu below the posting box) and write your name in the posting if you'd like. Blogger has these settings as default to help prevent Spam. Thanks for leaving a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates 'Neuronic' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP